Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday Poetry - Sara Coleridge

Sara Coleridge was the daughter of Samuel Taylor Coleridge & Sarah Fricker. She was very much a part of the group known as the Lake Poets. She knew her father's friends Southey & Wordsworth & was close friends with Wordsworth's daughter, Dora. Sara was also a poet & published several collections. Her daughter, Edith, published a memoir & letters after her death.
Katie Waldegrave has written a biography of Sara & Dora called The Poet's Daughters which I'm looking forward to reading.

The sun may speed or loiter on his way.
May veil his face in clouds or brightly glow;
Too fast he moved to bring one fatal day,
I ask not now if he be swift or slow.

I have a region, bathed in joyous beams,
Where he hath never gilded fruit or flower,
Hath ne'er lit up the glad perennial streams,
Nor tinged the foliage of an Autumn bower.

Then hail the twilight cave, the silent dell,
That boast no beams, no music of their own;
Bright pictures of the past around me dwell,
Where nothing whispers that the past is flown.

2 comments:

  1. I'm ashamed to say I was unaware of Sara Coleridge until I found your blog, so thank you for bringing her to my attention. Such wistful words in this poem and what a beautiful cover for the book. I'll keep an eye out for Katie Waldegrave's biography!

    ReplyDelete